Can I Get Better Rates If I Change My Habits Before I Apply For Life Insurance?
Life insurance rates can vary widely depending on your age, health, and lifestyle choices. If you are overweight, smoke or drink, or have a health condition that could be improved by adjusting your lifestyle, you may be able to get better life insurance premiums if you change your habits before you apply.
How Are Life Insurance Rates Determined?
Insurance companies consider several factors in determining life insurance premiums. Some of the critical factors include the following:
- Age: This is one of the main factors in pricing life insurance. The younger you are when you purchase a policy, the lower your rates are likely to be.
- Gender: As women tend to live longer, healthier lives than men, they are typically given lower life insurance rates.
- Health history: If you have a history of chronic disease or recurring health conditions, insurers will see you as a greater risk and your life insurance premiums will probably be higher.
- Current health: Your health at the time you apply is equally important to your health history. If you had health problems in the past but made lifestyle changes and resolved them, you may be eligible for more affordable life insurance.
- Weight: People who are overweight or obese have a significantly higher risk of diseases such as Type 2 diabetes. For this reason, carrying excess weight could mean higher life insurance premiums.
- Occupation: What you do for a living plays a role in how much you will pay for life insurance. If you work in a dangerous field, your premiums are likely to be higher.
- Lifestyle: Smokers and drinkers pay higher life insurance premiums than people who abstain. Any lifestyle factors that insurance companies believe can negatively impact your health will make you a greater risk and increase your rates.
- Policy amount: The amount of life insurance you purchase is a significant factor in how much your premiums will be. The higher your coverage amount, the more you can expect to pay each month.
What Can I Change To Get Better Life Insurance Premiums?
You can make lifestyle changes before you apply for life insurance that is likely to lower your premiums.
- Quit smoking: If you smoke, quitting now can make all the difference in your rates. To qualify for the best life insurance premiums, most insurers will require you to have been smoke-free for a minimum of two years.
- Lose weight: Shedding the extra weight can help you save money on life insurance. Insurers know that being overweight can lead to a number of costly medical conditions.
- Consume less alcohol: If you drink fairly often, you may have to pay more for life insurance. Drinking less often can help you qualify for a better policy at a lower rate.
- Improve your driving record: If you have a poor driving record, work to improve it before you apply for life insurance. By improving your driving behavior, you present a lower risk.
Our friendly agent can work with you to find the best possible rates for a life insurance policy that suits your needs.